17 Responses

1. Robert January 29, 2014 at 5:52 am |

Yes, you are correct on all of your points of the law. That is what the law currently requires and will be for some time.

The question is if at some point in the future autonomous cars make crashes due to drunk driving a thing of the past. Meaning, after a few years of no crashes due to drunk driving, wouldn’t the public perception of it as a social evil and stigma wane? I believe it would as it should. It simply wouldn’t exist.

Then with our new found freedom and safety wouldn’t we all want to be able to go to a bar and have a few beers without having risking other peoples lives and our own to get home? Yes, if we can do it safely.

I believe things things will happen regardless of fear mongering.

2. abuse drug rehab February 8, 2014 at 5:23 am |

I agree with Robert above me. Sure, at the current level of technology, what this article says is true.

But come 20, 50 years? Decades ago texting, email and cyber bullying was impossible.

Ok, might have shot myself in the foot with that one. But my point is, this technology won’t end DUIs in the near future, but nobody knows for sure later on.

3. Daniel Quijas March 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm |

Ignition interlock devices? I’m sure every new model will be hacked within minutes of their release. Just like phones, and ALL SOFTWARE are today. Some software even has the anti-piracy removed and is released on the internet (free of charge) BEFORE it is released publicly!

I am sure that automated cars will advance to the point that requiring a licensed (or sober, or even conscious) driver/passenger will no longer be required. That day is probably closer than many think. I’d say within 30 years we will have TRUE automated vehicles.

4. AnoXmous June 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm |

Except self driving cars 5-15 years in the future won’t have steering wheels, gas pedals, or any other means of manual control of the car. They wouldn’t need them. Getting a DUI for being in a situation where you might potentially take control of the vehicle, sure, but if you physically cannot, there’s no reason for such a law.

5. Marielle July 24, 2014 at 10:04 am |

This is a great blog on the awareness of drunk driving! The 12 Pack of Life project is trying to as well, put an end to drunk driving. Help us fight the number of drunk drivers on the road too! We are putting together 12 cds made up of 12 different bands from 12 different cities! These cds will help promote the dangers of drunk driving and how to end it while putting these artists on the map! Please join our fight! For more information please go to 12packoflife.com or visit our facebook page, Pack of Life!

6. Brian Duff August 23, 2014 at 4:51 am |

I agree that the central flaw in this article is that it is using as justification a law, which can be struck out with a pen. Driverless cars with no steering wheels may, no, would have saved my cousin’s life a week ago. He was killed when a drunk driver hit his car which also had his daughter in it. She escaped with only minor injuries, but will be traumatized and fatherless. That law is a step backwards like so many on emerging technology. I felt that way when I read about the law in question, and I feel that way now. I’ve watched this area of technology with great interest the past few years. I now appreciate more.

7. Mike August 27, 2014 at 5:39 pm |

I’m sorry but this article is just dead wrong. Let’s assume cars will drive themselves in the next few years, don’t you think that the car will be able to tell if the computer was driving the car or the driver. MADD just face it, you will no longer be in existence when cars have the option to drive itself because an intoxicated driver will never drive manually. Read the writing on the wall MADD. This will mean the end of your lies and personal gain for making casual drinkers criminals in the eyes of the law. There is no doubt in my mind that this site is funded by the neo-prohibitions known as MADD.

PS… Assuming that people that are intoxicated can’t add 5+7 is an absolute joke.

1. Robert J. Bailey June 26, 2015 at 11:00 am |

I agree with Mike completely about MADD. They exist to promote themselves and their salaries as much as to prevent DUI. As for the writer who slept in his car and still received a DUI, what a person does in his/her own car as long as he/she is not driving is his business only, as long as he/she is legally parked. DUI fines/penalties exist as much for revenue collection as they do for public safety.

8. Ron September 10, 2014 at 4:04 am |

Current laws do more social harm than good. Organizations such as this and MADD make money by pushing their agenda. How many lives are destroyed by draconian DUI laws than are saved by the distorted statistics for alcohol related fatalities. Do not be fooled people. It’s a business for these people and nothing more. I look forward to the day where the future makes their lively hood obsolete.

9. Jesse October 29, 2014 at 11:22 am |

I really, really hate MADD and the anti drunk-driving movement in general. It’s the perfect mating of emotionally charged parents and families and the industrial complex of the makers of the devices, plus local governments seeing revenue, making an extreme law and swaying public policy.

I got a DUI in 2010 for SLEEPING IT OFF IN MY CAR, in the parking lot right outside the pub i where I was drinking. This is a great example of overreach in law where a person that was excersizing good judgement is still penalized because there is fanatic extremism introduced into public policy.

I truly despise the whole system involved in this because of what I had to go through. FYI I have NEVER caused an accident in over 20 years of driving. NOT EVEN A FENDER BENDER. I’ve also gotten maybe 3 tickets of any kind in that same period.

10. cedric November 22, 2014 at 9:41 am |

well, it is STILL illegal to be in that car while intoxicated…you should have known better and gotten a drive with somebody!!! it’s the law and COMMON KNOWLEDGE!!! this has been the law since forever….

11. Brian December 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm |

If the car drives itself what are the odds the drunk even gets pulled over? People would know it happens, as they do now, but would care much less as they are 99.9 percent safer. We will need fewer police and emergency responders as well…body shops etc.

12. Josh May 19, 2015 at 11:56 pm |

I don’t think that law mentioned was meant to be permanent. These cars are still being tested and it sounds like once launched there will not be a manual override. No steering wheel or pedals. Most laws define drunk driving as “operating” a motor vehicle while impared. I would argue that a machine can’t be operated without controls.

13. Alex September 21, 2015 at 1:40 pm |

You all know that if you can’t afford Uber, then you can’t afford a driverless car right? This doesn’t change a whole lot for us poor drunks on the go…